Mason County Sheriff's Office Improves Training and Documentation
Scroll down for PDF of success story
CLIENT: Mason County, WA Sheriff’s Office
GEOGRAPHY: Mason County, WA
CHALLENGES: With no centralized system for managing personnel training, tracking certifications and keeping up with important documents had become a disorganized endeavor.
RESULTS: Documentation for firearms training has now sped up 100-fold, and confidence around compliance is stronger than ever.
Managing and tracking personnel training was becoming a daunting task for the Mason County Sheriff’s Office, as was meeting the needs of public disclosure laws. Mounting paperwork in the form of files, evidence and training documents needed to be preserved and maintained at headquarters. There was no centralized, organized system for keeping important documents. As a leader in adapting to process improvements and efficiencies through the use of technology, officials within the 110-member Mason County Sheriff’s Office realized they needed to improve management of officer readiness.
Mason County chose ASMi™ to provide management oversight and resource assignment support by customizing development and training. Dude Solutions’ ASMi software enables law enforcement management to immediately assess the overall readiness of their police force, view complete up-to-date department and individual training capabilities, and provide competency information for day-to-day operations, incident investigations and emergency response.
When it came to the office’s checklist, ASMi met all of Mason County’s needs:
- Replacement of multiple products, leading to increased efficiency in an environment of risk and budget constraints
- Cloud implementation in Amazon Web Services, which eliminates costs associated with hardware, backups, disaster recovery systems, database management and other expenses
- Accountability via verification of training and easily-accessible substantiation of officers’ training and experience, a critical feature during court cases
- Flexibility and ongoing improvements as part of the software-as-aservice (SaaS) model all customers receive, allowing the Mason County Sheriff’s Office to plug in and subscribe to services build on shared infrastructure via the internet
- Computer-based system significantly reduces paper documentation and eliminates redundancies in administrative efforts
Compliance with public disclosure laws has been improved, meaning requests for such non-confidential information from private citizens or the media are now carried out much more efficiently. “It is so much faster to document training,” said Lieutenant Travis Adams about using ASMi, specifically noting that documentation for firearms training has been “sped up 100-fold”. Time spent answering public records requests over the course of a year has also drastically reduced.
Keeping vital training documentation and other paperwork in a centralized electronic location via ASMi means better and quicker access to reports. Lieutenant Adams adds, “Bringing more things together in one location is good in terms of saving time and money. ASMi provides an instant snapshot of where the department is.”